Friday, January 11, 2013

Greatest Drivers of All Time #7: Al Unser

In a new series I am doing on the blog, I take a look at the greatest fifteen drivers in the history of motorsports, with some statistics and reasons as to why I selected them. Here are the previous drivers on the list:

#15 Jim Clark
#14 Dario Franchitti
#13 Sir Jackie Stewart
#12 Jimmie Johnson
#11 Michael Schumacher
#10 Al Unser Jr.
#9 Dale Earnhardt
#8 Juan Manuel Fangio

Al Unser Sr.

Born: May 29, 1939 USA
Race starts (USAC and Indycar): 337
Wins: 40
Poles: 29
Indianapolis 500 Wins:  4
Titles: 3

Al Unser was a man among boys when he was on it. I can think of four specific times he was on it. Off the top of my head, I think they were at Indy, and I think he won those four times. Yes, I think I am right. He is one of three drivers who have won four Indianapolis 500's. I cannot wrap my head around that! It will be awhile till we see another four time champ. Maybe Dario or Helio, but it won't be easy for them. Anyways, Al Unser is a fantastic driver and a terrific individual, and someone who is very worthy of the 7th spot on my list.

Stay tuned for #6. Let me know what you think.

-Matthew Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment