Friday, October 26, 2012

Greatest Drivers of All Time #14: Dario Franchitti

In a new series I am doing on the blog, I take a look at the greatest fifteen drivers in the history of motorsports, with some statistics and reasons as to why I selected them. Here are the previous drivers on the list:

#15 Jim Clark


Dario Franchitti

Dario Franchitti Wins 2012 Indy 500

Born: May 19, 1973 in Edinburgh, Scotland
Race starts (CART and Indycar): 247
Wins: 31
Poles: 30
Indianapolis 500 Wins:  3
Indycar Championships: 4

Before you call me an idiot for picking Dario over a multitude of other drivers, hear me out. I often think Dario Franchitti never gets enough credit nor respect from fans everywhere, as many fans judge him for the wrong reasons. He competes hard on and off the track, he wears his heart on his sleeve, and he wins races. What's not to like? Dario is one of hell of a driver. He won his third Indianapolis 500 in 2012. 2012 was also the first time Dario hadn't won the Indycar Championship in quite a long time, as he won it in 2007, 2009 (went to NASCAR in 2008 but decided to come back to Indycar in 2009), 2010, and in 2011. You look at how stacked the fields in Indycar have been in recent years (especially in 2009-2011), you have to be in awe at how amazing it is that he won three straight titles. He consistently races hard and races fast. This last year was a bit of a rough patch, but I expect him to be back in 2013. Dario Franchitti, as I always say, is a living legend, and someone I've enjoyed watching these past couple years. Here's hoping to a strong finish to his career with many successful years to come!

Stay tuned for #13. Let me know what you think.

-Matthew Hickey

No comments:

Post a Comment